With the end of summer approaching what better way to say goodbye than with a clam bake?
The following recipe is my own twist to the traditional baked clams. This simple dish using Latin herbs such as cilantro, culantro, roasted garlic and her a give this dish an amazing aromatic Latin flair that brings you back to the islands of Puerto Rico.
• 1 or 2 dzn Little Neck Clams, shucked, shells separated in half. Store clam juice in separate container with meat.
• 3 cups day old Unflavored bread stuffing (or any mixed bread of your own choice
• 1 Sprig Parsley – roughly chopped
• 2 Sprigs Cilantro – roughly chopped
• 4 Culantro/Recaito Leaves – roughly chopped
• 1 tbsp Dry Oregano
• 1 tbsp Dry Roasted Garlic Powder
• 1/4 tsp Thyme
• 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
• 1/2 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
• 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 Deg
2. Mix bread, salt, pepper and all the herbs together.
3. Add enough clam juice to soak all the bread but not make it soggy
4. Store mix in ziplock and refrigerate up to 2 hours. This allows the bread to marinate.
5. Clean sells to remove unwanted dirt and sand.
Start by placing all your clean clams on a baking pan, add some of the clam meat and top with bread mix. Once done drizzle olive oil on clams. squeeze half lemon over clams and bake in oven for 15 to 20 min.